As I get closer and closer to the big 3 0, I feel myself falling into a continual state of nostalgia. You would have seen the emergence of this in my last post. I have been thinking lately of the rites of passage in life, you see I have a habit of benchmarking times in my life through movies. If you don't know me I am a MAJOR movie buff and have been since a little girl. I have always loved the idea of disappearing into someone elses life for an 1hour 40mins, walking in their shoes, seeing the world through their eyes. I have a lot of cult movies at home that remind me of a specific time, hair colour, bra size...(there haven't been many) but there was one in particular which jumped out at me last night for no apparent reason and suddenly I was 15 all over again. Do you remember being so unbelievably curious about the world, wanting so much to have a crazy & eclectic social life but not quite enough social skills yet to acquire it, finding your new identity & style, falling in love, being accepted, getting into alternative rock.....that was me right at the moment I saw 'Reality Bites' for the first time. I thought no one could be as cute, quirky or elfin-like as Winona Ryder. I loved everything about her, the cropped do, the boho-chique dress-sense that could only come from some seriously cool genes, and of course not forgetting that simple yet profound cigarette strategically placed at an angle in her delicate white hand while sipping on a cup of coffee in the process of dishing out some witty rhetoric. What this movie does for me is what I essentially want to achieve through my photography as I build my portfolio - I want to capture these rites of passage in all their beauty and purity. That moment when you can look at a photo and be transported right back to that time, that emotion and the beauty of that moment!! So here I raise an imaginary glass of red (I'm not home yet) to all the things I dreamt I could be, all the things I have indeed become and all the things I have yet to capture - I pay hommage to a fantastic film and of course to Mr Ben Stiller, you are a legend!

Haha...I love it!!! This film is classic, I so wanted to be Winona Ryder, better still I wanted to go out with Ethan Hawke..dreamboat:D
ReplyDeleteI will drink to all of the above...and save one for when we are together honey xxx
I used to love Ethan Hawke too, he was a dreamboat! Not so much now though, sad face! You bet, I'm saving a drink for you lady! xx
ReplyDeleteyour blog is adorable and that wedding was sooo pretty!
ReplyDeletesamandlivi.blogspot.com
Thank you so much - I only just saw your comment! I will check out your blog too! x
ReplyDelete